Tuesday, May 4, 2010

French fast food, here comes some duck again


I am talking about duck again. We do that alot in this part of the world!

This time it might be something you should ask what it is after you have finished, because yesterday my fast food meal was about duck gizzards, duck hearts and cépes in an almost ready to be served preparation. You only need to heat them up a bit in a frying pan and dinner is ready! I served them on top of a salad and a bit of French mustard vinaigrette.


I learned to love hearts in Brazil where they commonly serve barbecued chicken hearts on a skewer. When we started seeing duck hearts in the super market, we thought... let's barbecue them! Delicious!

Duck gizzards are a typical salad ingredient in the Southwest of France. First time I had them, I didn't really know what is was... actually I still don't... it is part of their throat I would say...

3 comments:

  1. One never talks enough about ducks...

    And gizzards may just be the best thing in the world. ;-)
    The gizzard is a muscle that birds, crocodilians and some fish have (as well as dinosaurs most likely). It's located somewhere between the throat and the stomach, and it serves to crush food so that it can be digested more easily, so it basically plays the role of molars from us mammals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for clarifying the gizzard thing for me! Lunch today was the leftovers by the way - poor me...

    And by the way, how do you know all this? You're not a teacher by any chance... maybe a Biology teacher?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice to talk about Duck Foie Gras too ;)

    Cathy
    French online

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Please say hello! It is so nice to see if somebody has read a post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails